NLPCS is part of a series of workshops previously called NLUC (Natural Language Understanding and Cognitive Science). In 2007 the name was changed to NLPCS (Natural Language Processing and Cognitive Science) to widen the scope and provide a forum for all researchers of NLP working within the CS paradigm.
Previous workshops took place in Porto, Portugal (2004), Miami, USA (2005), Paphos, Cyprus (2006), Funchal, Portugal (2007), Barcelona, Spain (2008), Milan, Italy (2009), Funchal, Portugal (2010), Copenhagen, Denmark (2011), Wroclaw, Poland (2012), Marseille, France (2013) and Venice, Italy (2014). Most of these events were affiliated with ICEIS (http://www.iceis.org/) which is sponsored by the INSTICC (http://www.insticc.org/InsticcPortal/home.aspx).
Previous keynote speakers included:
- 2004 John A. Barnden (University of Birmingham, UK)
- 2005 Sirini Narayanan (International Computer Science Institute and University of California, Berkeley, USA)
- 2006 Matthew Stone (Rutgers, State University of New Jersey, USA)
- 2007 Yorick Wilks (University of Sheffield, UK)
- 2009 John A. Bateman (University of Bremen, Germany)
- 2010 Patrick W. Hanks (Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic)
- 2011 RMK Sinha (IIT Kanpur, India)
- 2012 Amy Neustein (Editor in Chief of International Journal of Speech Technology, USA)
- 2013 Philippe Blache (CNRS & Université de Provence, France)
- 2014 Jared Bernstein (Stanford University, USA)